Why bother to participate in clinical trials and observational studies? Because, without participation we will never have new treatments for Huntington's.

Clinical Trials

PRIDE-HD: Pridopidine

(completed)
This Phase 2 clinical trial to evaluate safety and efficacy of 4 doses of pridopidine is now open for enrollment at Evergreen Neuroscience Center. Four different doses of the drug will be tested and compared with placebo. Former trials of this drug tested lower doses where benefit was shown in motor function. It is hoped that the higher doses in the present trial will give more benefit without increasing side effects.

This is a 12-month trial. Each participant has an 80% chance of getting active drug and a 20% chance of getting placebo. They have approval (if there are no safety issues) for participants to continue the drug after they complete the trial. Transportation will be paid for travel to and from Evergreen, which can include taxi or similar service.

Criteria include: Age 21 years or older, with early or middle stage HD, and not currently on another investigational drug or tetrabenazine. You may be on several (not all) antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs, but the dosage must be stable for at least 6 weeks. Must have a care-partner who can come to visits.

Sponsor is TEVA Pharmaceuticals

Evergreen Neuroscience Center 
Dr. Pinky Agarwal,
Primary Investigator

Carey Gonzales
Research Coordinator
12039 128th St., Suite 300,
Kirkland, WA 98034
Phone: 425.899.5374
Fax: 425.899.3147
Email: CLGonazales@evergreenhealth.com
 

Observational and Clinical Research Studies

ENROLL-HD
(now enrolling)

previously COHORT

READ MORE
Enroll-HD study is a new international study that involves North America, Europe, South America and parts of Asia. Data from those of you who have already contributed to COHORT (with your permission) will added to Enroll-HD.

This study is an active collaboration of HD patients, individuals born at risk for HD (regardless of whether they have been tested genetically), and their families. It requires about a half day visit once a year. This study is vital to the more rapid development of treatments for HD therapeutics and completion of clinical trials. Visit EnrollHD.org for more information and updates.

Transportation reimbursement available.  

Booth Gardner Parkinson’s Care Center (Evergreen Neuroscience Center)
Dr. Pinky Agarwal,
Primary Investigator

Anna Fierro,
Coordinator
12039 NE 128th Street, Suite 300
Kirkland, WA 98034
Phone: 425-899-5387
Fax: 425-899-3147
Email: amfierro@
evergreenhealthcare.org
 

University of Washington Department of Neurology
Dr. Ali Samii,
Primary Investigator

Debra Del Castillo,
Research Coordinator
Phone: 206.543.3647
Fax: 206.685.8100
Email: debradel@uw.edu  
Muscle and Brain Biomarker Study for HD

(completed)
This study will be conducted at the University of Washington and will involve only 2 visits separated by about 1 week. Each participant will receive an MRI scan of a leg muscle and of brain. The purpose of the study is to improve our ability to measure mitochondrial energy levels. It is hoped that these measures can be used as a biomarker that will speed clinical trials of new drugs.

Completed, results pending, and new study in planning stages


 
Dr. Kevin Conley and
Dr. Elizabeth Aylward
Principle Investigators
 
 

Previous Clinical Research Results

Predict-HD (completed) To learn more about the diagnosis and progress of Huntington's Disease (HD). 
 
Omeros
(completed)
PDE-10 Inhibitor drug Phase 2 safety and tolerability clinical trial. Completed, results pending.
 
First-HD
(completed)
Phase 3 clinical trial testing a long-acting form of tetrabenazine (Xenazine). Completed, results pending.
 
CREST-E Phase 3 clinical trial that is testing whether high dose creatine can slow disease progression for those diagnosed with HD. Terminated after no benefit shown.
 
Reach2HD
(enrollment closed)

Reach2HD, a Phase 2 clinical trial at Evergreen Neuroscience Center is now completed. Safety was demonstrated and results suggested a possible cognitive improvement: http://pranabio.com/news/prana-announces-successful-phase-2-results-huntington-disease-trial/#.UynpWF6ayfY. The company plans to move to a Phase 3 trial. Though the Northwest had a very short time period for enrolling participants, we had 6 accepted into the trial. Thank you to all participants, and to Evergreen for their clinical trial efforts for Huntington's disease.
 
HART-ACR16
(closed)
This phase 2 trial has been completed and gave a positive signal of benefit for motor symptoms. A new trial is planned for 2014.
 
Dimebon Phase 3
(closed)
Unfortunately this trial showed no benefit in Huntington’s or Alzheimer’s disease.
Share Tweet

Share a link